The Hunger Games
By Suzanne Collins.
In the world of the future, the rulers of the whole planet have decided to sponsor a yearly game that pits two participants from each district against all the other districts in a life or death game for survival. The rulers set up the environment and the conditions of the game and each chosen participant fights all the others until only one survives. It is a sort of fatal Olympics. Of the twelve districts, the two chosen for district twelve are definitely survivors, but once the game starts, they stand little chance alone. Only as a team will they win.
The whole premise of this story is alien to me, since I don’t have a gaming orientation to life. I tried to enjoy the thrill of conquest and defeat, but to no avail. The book was riveting nonetheless. The main character of this story is well defined and believable. She also has the only morals that I could find in the whole structure. Since there are more books in the series, I hope the characters maintain their viability and don’t dissolve into one dimensional icons for the side of good versus evil.
Collins, S. (2008). The Hunger Games. New York: Scholastic, Inc.

No comments:
Post a Comment